Using Excel with my Legacy.

I wanted a count of the number of people by generation starting from my g grandparents. I got the following in response to my question from Legacy. It's not perfect in that nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters, etc appear but I just deleted them. You still have to count them.  Hubby did some fancy pivot table in Excel but I just would have filtered.
________begin copy________________________________________

You can create a Descendant Focus Group to find the total number of descendants, but it doesn't indicate type of relationship and it includes spouses, so it's not totally accurate.

What I would do is set the relationships to the starting person (Tools > Set Relationships), then go to Search > Find > Detailed Search tab and use the search as shown in the attached screenshot.


In the Search List, click on Print and select the fields you want to include - don't forget "Relationship" .  Create the report in CSV, open that in your spreadsheet program and then you can sort by the Relationship column and find your count that way. If you're including dates and locations, I'd recommend changing the default date/place to separate fields for the date and the place. You can also have Given name and Surname fields separate if you wish.

The Index Report from the Name List or Search List is in the order that the list is in when you create the report - RIN, GIven or Surname.

For help with creating the report, click on the Help button when you're in that window.









Comments

  1. This is great!!  So glad you were able to figure it out.  Something else for me to try when I get a chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an involved process. Might be quicker to count the spouses and subtract that number from the results of the focus group search :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment