How to enter a name?

Over the weekend after I got my data base naming mess straightened up (thanks again) I found the link I had been looking for regarding the identity of a person I suspected for years was a relative. Now the question is do: I enter him in Legacy with the name he arrived under or use the name he went by on all other documents (censuses, newspaper articles, legal papers, etc. I know he is the same person as his Naturalization Papers show the name change. Never had this problem before, usually just have. Had to enter AKA's which were nicknames or misspellings and not complete name changes. Thanks in advance!

Comments

  1. I suppose there is an accepted way to do this, but, I use the name I find as the earliest document proves.  So, if I have birth record/certificate, that is what I use.  Baptism, that's it, even if it is 6 names, those Lutherans, ya know!  LOL

    Marriage is the first, I use it how I find it.

    I can edit and change if I find earlier info, and frequently do.  I will make notes as to how I found it, and why I changed it.  Or, use AKAs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. That makes sense as the name he entered the country with is more than likely his birth name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of Swedish ancestors - and Lutherans! -whose names changed when entering the US.  I always put in the birth name and the original place of birth.  In Sweden some of the counties have changed, but I always use original material to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx Donna! It's helpful to see how others approach that issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment