How do I enter military discharge records?

For those of us in the USA who have had family members in the military, you know how vital discharge papers are - especially when you have to come up with them for various reasons.

There are no source templates in Legacy for Honorable Discharge in the USA.  Sorry, but this really bothers me.  There are register templates and discharges from other countries, but not for the USA.  OK - now that I have vented.............

Does anyone have a method they have used to source 'Honorable Discharge' papers?  I have several that I need to document.

Thanks!

Comments

  1. Donna Nissen If you are using the Source Writer in Legacy, type "discharge" in the search box when you go to add a new source.  A list of Soldiers' Discharge Record templates will appear.  Would any of these help you?  I would use one of those and tweak it to your liking. I am assuming you would have the actual papers, so basic format would be the one I would choose. 

    If you have the 2nd edition of Evidence Explained, these are discussed on page 444, section 9.13.  A little trick-- If you find the citation you like in EE, you can  put the page number or the section number in the search box when you are adding a new source and it will bring the template up.  Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monique.  I have EE 1st edition, but did try page 444 for the 2nd edition (and now there is a 3rd edition!).   It brings up "Registers at the state level".  WWII army discharge papers were recorded at "Army of the United States" level.  MIne aren't registers and are at the national level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it were me, I would start with one of those and play with it until I was happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Monique.  I finally had to go with using the Basic Style.  Nothing else would give me the right Footnotes and Bibliography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna Nissen I would be interested in the citation that you created, if you would be willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can figure out how to post the pictures here, I will.  Otherwise - it's a separate post.
    Guess it will be a separate post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Donna when you post you can add images but you cannot add images in responses or additional posts in a thread. Saw your newest post with your example in it. Great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment