Question about transcribing documents in Legacy.

I am currently trying to save and transcribe documents and correspondence from family members that have been collected over a very long time from 1844 to 2010. This includes travel postcards, letters of everyday thoughts, family goings-on, etc. I think it helps document what they were doing and where they went. My question is do I put selected items in the events to show where they were or collect everything under research notes or in a Word document? The items are in paper and images as the item belonged to someone else.

I have been placing snippets in the medical notes when they tell of their illness, diagnosis and general feelings on health and documenting where the statements came from. I put some in events such as a postcard saying an uncle was taking the train to North Dakota. He was in construction at the time.

In some cases without the letters I would not know where these people lived, worked and any thing else about them. Am I on the right track?

Comments

  1. I would use events that way the history is showing in a nice timeline and automatically sorted by date. Plus, you can add the images to an event but you can't add them in the notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use events for any snipet of information so that it shows up in their timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very much on the right track. I also added a travel event because my family appears on a passenger list from the 1950s. I've also found passenger lists from many east coast relatives that vacationed in Bermuda and passenger lists for return visits to the "old country". I didn't want them to look like immigration events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you planning to scan them so you can save the picture of the post card, hand writing, etc with the event?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky you are to have the collection. Have you thought of creating a "book" with the collection? If you created a digital collection by date and numbered the images, you could use the "Smith Collection" as a book and refer to the "pages" in citing the information and it could be your primary source.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Shannon & Kelly and would add the info as events so that they show up in timeline reports.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment