Tuesday's Tip returning in August.

Tuesday's Tip will return on August 4 and I can't wait (but I will have to). The longest move of house is almost done (my parents have to be out by July 30 and the house is pretty bare. We have a few things left in the kitchen, garage and shed. We have been to the new cottage, the recycling center and Goodwill more times in the past 3 weeks than I have been in the past 5 years (and I am a donater).

It has been interesting to watch my parents as they part with some things and/or tell me why they need to have other things at their new place. We have found tools my grandfathers left to my dad (don't know if he used them but they are on the stay list). I have put together scads of small u-haul boxes and am now proficient with that tape dispenser thingie. Remind me again why we didn't hire professionals (oh right, my dad thought there would not be much to move and the move is only a couple of miles away). Yikes - run for the hills if you hear that from your parents.

Cheers to my sister Karen (a sunny disposition no matter what comes her way and she is my mocha java shake buddy) and my brother Jim (mr fixit and mr I can hang on to that until dad decides). Cheers to my sister Kris for that other move that got sandwiched in with this one. Cheers to their spouses - for understanding the time commitment would expand and "being good with it." To those MIA during this move - we missed you and have long memories!

When all is said and done (and it will be done soon!) it is so nice to have family willing to lend a hand and to know that my parents made the decision to move now while they are in good health and can enjoy an active retirement community with few of those pesky responsibilities (house-cleaning, cooking, yard work, etc.).

My tip for you this week is to ask questions about those "things" around your parents (or grandparents) homes -  whether they are tools, photos, or other mementos. Take pictures and write down (or video/record) the stories so you will have them for future generations. See you next Tuesday!

Comments

  1. Oh, do I know where you're coming from Tessa!  It is such a blessing to have a family who attacks this momentous parental life-change with such love and gusto!  I have a funny story regarding your tip to ask about those meaningful "things".  My mother-in-law has not waited for us to ask. She long ago slipped notes into pieces that carried special meaning to her telling us where they came from and in some cases to whom they should go. Just last weekend I was looking at some of her Geisha girl collection and found a bevvy of notes about their provenance!  So not looking forward to the inevitable time (she's 90 and still living at home for the moment) when those notes are all we have left of her voice. Amen to the recording of stories and the voices that tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, record some of those feelings, for your data base stories.  Sounds like, all in all, this has been a positive and good experience.

    For you bloggers, there is that meme, Treasure Chest Thursday. I use it now and then, photo of the heirloom or item of interest, and the story behind it.  Once recorded on my blog, I also record it in Legacy!  I even have my own fact for "Heirlooms".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I had been around more when my sister helped clear things for my parents. She owns their house now and my other sister lives in there, but it has been many years since I could have asked questions of them. Don't leave it till it's too late, illness meant I could not ask my Mum things in her latter years and my Dad was taken after a short illness during which I was unable to talk with him. Talking to the siblings of my parents is not the same, they may remember family but will not be able to share the same experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment