When to use JPG or PDF format with media.

I use both the JPG and PDF format.  JPGs I use for my pictures but for other documents like scanning birth records I use PDF format.  I know how to attached them but it appears from what I'm reading in the help section under media that when publishing a book or scrapbook that PDF documents are not input into these features.  Am I incorrect?  I've tried everything I can think of but none of my PDF files show when I publish a book.  I have this feeling what I read in the help file is correct i.e., PDF files will not show up when using the publish book feature, descendant charts, ancestor charts, scrapbooks, etc.

Comments

  1. Interested in the answer as well, Yvonne Tallini . Hopefully someone with experience on this topic will be able to shed some light on it (if there is a known work around). I have many PDF files attached to individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll be following this one closely too because I have a few thousand PDF files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course, the way around that would be to not scan documents as PDFs. I used to have images in PDFs and I took them all out so I can see them more easily.

    I haven't used the book publishing option but will it accept charts in text or rich text format instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about converting my PDFs to JPEGs but the time to do that to hundreds of documents just isn't where I want to spend my  time.  I am hoping that in an upgrade that Legacy will have a solution to this problem.  I do not know about text or rich text format.  I'll have to play around with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to recall that the pdf files need a separate proprietary viewer from Adobe while jpg files do not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think PDF files have to be linked as documents. There may be a way to bulk convert PDF to jpg, but you would still have to link them individually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PDFs have to be linked as documents. I'm going to contact Legacy either this week or next week and ask them.  From what I was told with FTM you can publish books with PDFs without any problems

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just learned that you can convert pdf files to jpeg files. Just Google how to do that. It's a bit of a hassle up front, but at least I can see everything the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment