A media question - I'm using the scrapbook.

I am trying to figure out when I attach media what gets put into a scrapbook and what doesn't. It seems to depend on whether I attach the media to the event versus  in the family view using the media option with the individual.   For example, when I attach a census record to the event  plus in the media file under the individuals name in the family view when I go to Reports - Other Reports - Scrapbook and leave all the boxes checked that are standard by Legacy both media files show up (ie the one attached to the event and the one attached to the individual).  However, when I go to Reports - Publishing Center - Add Picture Scrapbooks into the book you only get  the media that is linked to the event and not to the individual. I'm really confused!  I really want to add my media files correctly so I don't end up with a mess when I try to take advantage of the publishing options in Legacy.

Comments

  1. I attach almost all of my media in the person's multi media folder, rarely to an event.  

    My suggestion is for you to keep doing just what you are doing, attach stuff in different places, play with ALL the reports you think you may use in the future.  See what suits you and stick to it.

    The way I do things was developed years ago in data base infancy.  For example, at that time the data base I was using did not allow attaching images or media to events.  So, I used the general multi media folder, arranged chronologically and tromped onward.  I still prefer that method, as it shows the ancestor's life story in images, to the extent that I have an image OR images.  

    Personal preference.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a 'genealogy makeover' and trying to get my sources organized.  Question:  If I attach an image to either a source or detail, does that image get copied  every time I cite that source/detail?  Would it work better to simply attach the media to the appropriate person/event in the media gallery instead of attaching it to the source/detail?

     Hoping that question made sense!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment