New to LVUG community.

I don't actually remember when I joined LVUG, probably about 2 years ago, but I really haven't done much with anything on G+ until just recently.  (Like most of us, my personal life interferes terribly with my genealogy addiction!!)  Anyway, I've been doing genealogy for 17 years and was actually fortunate to have already had several of my families already plotted out, meaning I've been able to work forward, not just backward.  I started out with FTM back in that late 90s but it was, then much too simple a program for a researcher taught by a librarian (i.e., "cite your sources!") so I moved to The Master Genealogist, which I still like but about 4 years ago I moved to Legacy, mostly because of its really open nature:  webinars, sharing, ease of use while still being thorough in the data-fields.  Really, an all-around good program.  Oh, and I use Legacy 8.5 Deluxe.

Mine and my husband's families were all here in what is now the USA between 1635 & 1735, which actually makes finding some records a bit difficult to find; with one exception they were all in the southern part of America: Virginia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi -- the exception being one family who came first to Connecticut then (3 generations later) moved up to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick.  Tracking and tracing these families, 9 at last count, has proven challenging, frustrating and irritating, and frankly more fun than a barrel of monkeys :-)

I realize that this is a long post, I hope it's suitable for the topic.  I definitely will be asking some questions in the Discussion group at some point, but that can wait for another day.  Thank you, Tessa, for moderating this community.

Comments

  1. Welcome Cherie Brumfield (I am the queen of long posts!). With all your experience you will certainly be able to answer some of our questions - whether that is Legacy or subject matter! I agree that Legacy is very robust and you can use as little or as much as you like. You have ancestors quite far back in American history and in lots of places. Mine came late to the party so I spend lots of time in Swedish, Norwegian, Irish and Newfoundland records. Thanks for being part of our LVUG Community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the welcome, Tessa.  I hope I can provide some useful/helpful (not always necessarily the same thing) to members of the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Cherie Brumfield it's great to have you here!  Looking forward to see how you put Legacy to work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment