Reminder to back up your work - lesson learned!

Another back up your work lesson: I do back up every time I close my program, but I will leave it open for days and just close my laptop cover (have a separate monitor) Last week I decided to merge two file together, and did not back up at that moment, then decided that was dumb as I had cleaned up my master tree, so I stopped the merge and deleted the old file.  The next day I started working and noticed that I had double marriages for EVERYONE, and my tree had more than 40,000 people! 

I did contact Legacy when I finally figured out what I had done and had to restore my file from Dec 18th!  I had even broken through a brick wall!  So now I am in my second day of trying to get back all the info that I lost.  I did make PDF files of the two families that I had worked on, and hoping that is all that I messed up.  

Now, I am backing up as soon as I finish adding new info.  I have a flash drive attached and back up to that each time!
Lesson Learned!!!

Comments

  1. Arrrrgh!! In addition to your flash drive, consider backing up periodically (weekly, monthly) to an external hard drive. Belt & suspenders - flash drives fail as well as hard drives. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropbox 2 GB free -- especially useful if you use more than one computer. MozyHome cheap and reliable online storage (I have 185GB stored online for $16.00 per month). External hard drive. Your spouse's computer. There are many inexpensive ways. Don't be cheap where your essential data is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to suggest making gedcom backups as well. I had to change from another program to Legacy and was lucky that it could read the other program but some other choices of programs wouldn't take anything but a gedcom. Also when sharing with another person with another program they would need the gedcom. Another senario would be if your Legacy file got corrupted and you couldn't access it you would have another choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving an application like Legacy open for days would seem a risky venture to me, opening the door to problems if the computer hiccups or loses power...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment