How do I input information from newspaper articles?

I have numerous years of newspapers from Marshall County Kansas.  I have inputted the year 1948 two different ways. 

1. Newspaper Article as the event. Date 22 April 1948 (date of newspaper) and place - Wetmore, Nemaha, Kansas. Leaving the description blank and putting this Mr. and Mrs. Fred Claycamp were in Wetmore Sunday visiting at the home of his brother, George Claycamp. in the notes section.

2. visit as the event Date 22 April 1948 and place - Wetmore, Nemaha, Kansas. Leaving the description blank and putting this Mr. and Mrs. Fred Claycamp were in Wetmore Sunday visiting at the home of his brother, George Claycamp. in the notes section.

I just learned I need to put the sentence in the description so it will show up in the family report.  

As I start a new year, I am trying to figure out if the event should be newspaper article or what the event was - dinner, visit, PTA meeting.  

The source is the newspaper date, volume, page and column numbers.

Any suggestions on how you would input the data?

My intentions is at next year's reunion is to print out a report showing all the events of my husband's grandparents. So I'm trying to get the input right now, so everything is consistent.

Comments

  1. I use Obituary for an obit, Family Reunion for a fam reunion notice, and article for general stuff. Then I transcribe the article in the notes section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use newspaper article for almost everything, except obits, graduations, marriages etc.  In the description line, I put the name of the newspaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. For obituaries, I have an event called Obituaries for the description, I put the name of the paper – sometimes, I have a couple different papers.  For other articles, I use an event called “newspaper clippings.”  For the description, I will use the headline of the article, or slightly change it so I know what it is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does the article prove? Is it residence for that period in time; or relationships; occupations or miscellaneous info. All these things add substance to who they were as a person, rather then just BMD info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always ask myself: what is the EVENT? Be it birth, attaining Eagle Scout status or academic degree, marriage, birth of child...these are all events that might be reported in a newspaper. Even a newspaper article about a dance that someone attended or a marathon run, that event is what is being reported. By asking the question "what is the event?" It becomes clear that the newspaper article itself is a RECORD of the event, not the event itself. Hence, the specific newspaper article becomes the source citation and is treated as such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone your ideas and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment