Quick question about sources in general.

I set up a source for a birth certificate.  There is quite a bit of data on the parents as well as the child.  Sometimes for the mother/father address all it has is a state name. I kind of feel that every nugget of info in my database should have as many sources as possible to strengthen the validity of the data. So in this birth certificate scenario I tend to use the BC as a source for the parent's birth place. I do this even when I know the parent's city/count/state from other info and the child's BC only has the state.  Is this going overboard with sourcing or do others do this also?

Comments

  1. I think that is a great idea.  I have not carried my sources out to that extent but I will from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I connect every source to each event or fact so when I want or need to analyze them, I have the full list of all the assertions to reach a sound conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do that. I address a residence event to each parent so that when I am analysing the chronology I have as many facts as possible to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed; the more the merrier. I add the actual text of source and bold the specifics in the case of multiple lines to make it easier to see exactly what information came from where, otherwise, it's a mess trying to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment