In March I asked about naming Master Sources.

I have a fairly good idea what I want to do but realized that changing all to my new convention is daunting but doable as I don't have that many. The hold up are the obituaries which I originally named "Obit - name of person, abbreviated newspaper name, date published". There are 58 and all but three are the same newspaper. I am determined to change them to something like, Newspaper - Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, WI or something similar. If I make that that change and select update all sources I will lose the date for each person and will have to go back into each record and add the date, correct? Is there a better way?

Comments

  1. As far as I know there is not an easier way.  If it were me I would create the new source and then tag each person that you want to change.  Use the source clipboard to paste the new source and adding the correct information then delete the old source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon. It's tedious, but worth it. I followed the same path you did. My master citations look like:

    New York, Westchester, Newspaper, Highland Democrat
    Net York, Westchester, Newspaper, Evening Star

    My detail include the article title, page number, column number, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I thought. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment