Census records and rural locations - a question.

A lot of my ancestors were farmers in the Texas Panhandle and on many of the Census records the city is listed as Justice Precinct # x, Precinct x, District x, or even Subdivision x of Precinct y.  My general understanding (guess) is that these are the designations for rural areas that are outside city limits.  First, can anyone verify if that is true.  Second, when populating events would you use these terms as the "city" value in a location field (e.g., Justice Precinct #15, Donley County, Texas, USA) or just generalize it as Donley County, Texas?  Normally I use the precinct info as the city.  However, I'm currently looking at a 1910 census and and a 1920 census.  1910 is for precinct 1 and 1920 is in precinct 2.  Can precincts change over time just like voting districts?  As always, I appreciate any advice from this most helpful group.

Comments

  1. I have people in Van Zandt county and I run into the same thing. I place the Justice Precinct #x, etc, in the location  for the city. I figure I can replace it if I ever find out what it means. As for precincts changing I have no idea.  Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment