A question on copying source documents.

A question on copying source documents. Just curious how others do it. When faced with, say, a double page image from a parish register with maybe 10+ different records on it, do you copy the entire page into Legacy so you can retain info on the page number, surrounding records, maybe a parish indicator off to one side, or do you crop the image to give only the target record? I realize there will be a difference in size for the image file, but is that the main consideration?

Comments

  1. When I attach it in Legacy, I attach the cropped image so that is what will print if that person shows up in one of my printed reports.  However, I keep the full page on my computer in case I want to refer back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attach the whole record. One just recently had two marriages out of many on the page were ones I was looking for. When I downloaded the page for one of them, I did not know the other one was on the page. Later when looking over that record that I had attached, I found the second one. If I had only had a cropped record attached, I would have missed that marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't think it would be inappropriate to add both. Sometimes you need the entire record in context and yet that close up snippet can be easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, what I might consider doing is having two folders on my computer, with the second being a folder for "complete" images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do exactly that Clooz - the folder has FP after meaning full page.  That way, they aren't showing as unattached in Legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone.  Good answers.  I've tended to copy the entire page.  Can zoom in to the required article when/if I need to.  Fellow at local genealogy centre suggested the opposite to keep file size down - he has some 120,000 source images.  Another lumpers & splitters meme, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment