An introduction and a question on RINs and MRINs.

I have just started using Legacy, so I guess you can say I am a beginner at this. I do have an ancestry tree on line at ancestry.com. I downloaded a Gedcom from that tree and imported into Legacy. Sure hope I did it right, I have over 2000 people. Problem is it did an error check page that I printed off to look at. Can someone tell me what the MRIN number is? I know what the RIN is. Also ended up with lots of media also that is not showing up even though it is referenced in Legacy. My guess is it is referencing the link on ancestry as it cannot locate the pics on my computer. Any kind of help would be welcomed. 

Sorry if I added this to the wrong place. Not really sure what I am doing here.

Comments

  1. MRINs are the same as RIN but for marriages. MRIN mean Marriage Index Reference Number and refers to the marriages in your index.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way here is my Legacy version # 8.0.0.473 if that makes a difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Magda N. Maybe now I can get to the bottom of some of these errors. Would it be easier for me to buy the FTMaker and then sink it with the tree on line, and then add to Legacy? I have always heard that there was issues with Gedcom's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not believe a Gedcom download contains media - from ancestry.com help "Note: GEDCOM files are text-only. Any pictures, charts, books, views, or similar items found in the original file will not be included in the GEDCOM. "  I THINK BUT DON"T KNOW FOR SURE that you will need to download those files separately and establish links to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron Walter, that is what I thought also, but after I transferred my Gedcom to Legacy I got place holders with question marks as pictures,  with links to somewhere. Can't find the link in my computer though, so I figure it had to be off line. I will add two photos for you to look at and tell me what you think. Guess I will have to do that on new post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment