Happy New Year everyone.


I have just discovered that Legacy can compile my database into html ready to put up onto the web. Sweet!

But the result does not look quite the way I would like. So with a bit of diligent study via Google into the vagaries of html coding a managed to get what I was wanting.

In a nutshell I wanted to place a “For more information click HERE” on various people’s pages that would provide a link to more detailed discussions rather than clogging up the page with reams of data. So I edited the appropriate html file directly.

But then I found some missing information and entered it into Legacy. Then I re-ran the html compiler and shock, horror ALL of my careful modifications were wiped out.

So here is the question. How can I incorporate additional html code so that it make changes as above but not be wiped out by a data update and re-compile?

Comments

  1. Since all of those HTML generated pages are coming straight out of Legacy, I think you're going to have to work within Legacy's options if you want your custom code to show each time you update. There's a space for notes at the beginning under Project/Introduction. And then there's space for custom HTML under the Links tab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for your reply JL Beeken , its not ideal but so be it. Maybe a future release will give the ability to do what I was looking for.

    In the meantime I have a work around.

    I have one customised file and that is “index.html” kept in a separate folder.

    In a particular person’s general notes field I put a comment like “For the full story on Fred Nerk see the link “Fred’ Story” in the Table of Contents page.

    I then add the appropriate html code to the custom index (above).
    When an update to the whole thing has been generated by Legacy I copy my custom “index.html” into the folder for my just generated family history replacing the Legacy generated index file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob Thompson If you're going to be that specific about it then yeah, I think that's your option. Legacy is only giving the option for a single customized header and footer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment