Beginning to do research on my German immigrant family.

I'm just beginning to do research on my German immigrant family. I have located the place of birth for my great-grandmother, but I'm not sure how to enter the locations into Legacy. I've been using the 4-place naming convention for US place names: city, county, state, country, but it appears that Germany may have 6 place names. What is the typical naming convention for German place names?

Her place of birth was listed as Schornweisach, Baiern, Germany. On a modern map I've located it in:
Schornweisach, Uehifeld, Neustadt an der Aisch-Bad Windsheim, Mittelfranken, Bayern, Deutschland. 

I'm sure that is not the location for 1861 when she was born.

Comments

  1. Michele Simmons Lewis​ will probably know since she does a lot of German research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link, where the location-path over the years is shown:
    http://gov.genealogy.net/item/relationshipGraph/SCHACH_W8531?full-size=1
    The right location path for 1861 seems to be:
    Schornweisach, Uehlfeld, Neustadt an der Aisch-Bad Windsheim, Mittelfranken, Freistaat Bayern, Deutscher Bund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a general link/site where all locations in Germany can be seen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Volkmar Pfeiler. That is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, this is a german-site, but you can search for a location:
    http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index
    or by typing "genwiki " - you´ll get genealogy information over the place and at the end of the article also the location-path (Only in German).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also found Wikipedia to be helpful. It's not always the most accurate, but you can verify the information easily enough. For example, yesterday I wanted to know if my husband's ancestors were really born in the Irish Free State. Although they reported this on a US census form, at the time of their births they were living in the United Kingdom of Ireland and Great Britain. I found this on Wikipedia and verified it elsewhere. I always make sure I get the location names correct for the times. so I have a better idea of where to research.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment