O is for Occupation

O is for Occupation
http://youtu.be/4mvPREQzo6Y

Comments

  1. I love old occupation titles... and sometimes I've been able to trace through occupations listed on various documents.  Fun to do timelines of when the couple said they worked at what, and where.    I love the way you're doing this, Tessa Keough Lots to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Celia Lewis - everyday we (hopefully) learning something. And using the letters of the alphabet makes it a bit like a roulette wheel - not quite sure where I will land when the letter of the day comes up in Help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 2nd great grandfather who was a Puddler in Glasgow in the 1871 census. Yup, I had to "Google it":  a worker who turns pig iron into wrought iron by puddling
    ironworker - a person who makes articles of iron
    Puddling: the process of converting pig  the process of converting pig iron into wrought iron or rarely steel by subjecting it to heat and frequent stirring in a furnace in the presence of oxidizing substances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great Barbara Johnson - I just love the term and wonder where it comes from, perhaps the steel puddles when it is in liquid form before being formed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my ancestors were farmers so I've had little opportunity to research occupations. Your great-grandmother Josephine was a great example of going into more depth with an occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna Willis Brown - with farmers it is all about finding out about the property and if they were part of a cooperative or grange, what the crops or livestock were, and any awards from State fairs. And thanks for the comments about Josephine's occupation search - it was fun to look at directories and find out what the job meant - and now 2 of my sisters know where they got their sewing gene from (I on the other hand do not have that skill).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment