Using Tags with Master Lists.

What can you do with Tags in the Master Location List?

Comments

  1. Under 'List Options' you can tag an entire list for one location, for instance. So, say, you wanted to search a database, or a book, that you've seen for a particular location and you want everyone who is some way related to that location.

    I've used it for cleaning up locations that have been imported from other files where people have put everything but the kitchen sink in there. For example, information that belongs in Marriage Notes, IMO. So I can make myself a search list and go clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mike griffin I only see one tag in the Master Location List (in both versions 7.5 and 8.0). It is in columns  tag, verified,  latitude/longitude, and notes. In that section I tag locations if I need to do cleanup or something seems off, or I know that I want to add notes to the location (history, culture, geography, or how I input country information to be consistent - for instance I have an entire write up on Ireland's history and I indicate how I input Irish places and have links for where I took my research from. I do the same thing for my family heavy States - Washington, Oregon, Nebraska, New York AND my Canadian Provinces - Newfoundland and British Columbia - the histories are quite different, it makes a difference what the country or province is at various times in history - Newfoundland did not join the Canadian confederation until 1949 - helps you figure out where to look for those records).

    In the side bar (if you have it open) that is Show People - you have 3 tags shown  and I am guessing that since in version 8.0 you can now show all 9 tags in your family and individual views, unless you pick which 3 to show, you get 1, 2 & 3. They are already populated based on what you have filled in (mine will show that all my direct paternal line is 1, all my direct maternal line is 2) and when I click on a place - in this example, British Columbia, Canada - it shows one person uses that location and he is a direct line because tag 1 is shown by his name.

    I suppose (but not sure - would need to check) that you could have other tags shown and (pick ones that are blank) and then if you are working on an area (perhaps Nebraska - and you are planning a research trip and you want to know all people you have in your database who have - let's say Tecumseh, Saint Mary's, Yankee Creek, and Johnson County. You could tag in the master location section and all those people would show up in your list of people using this location. In list options you can print the list, you can untag or tag. Have not though through all the ways you could use this rather than a search but it does nicely show your locations, your Bing map (maybe you could find churches and cemeteries in those places) and the people who use the location all in one handy, dandy place. 

    Now it is your turn - thoughts - how you use tags in the Master Location List - have you given it any thought, is it something you use or don't use? As my grade school nun would say - "class discuss!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done this yet, but you could tag locations that have a historical name and then enter the historical name in the location notes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment