The second part of Tuesday's Tip - SNGF with Randy Seaver.

And now, the second part of Tuesday's Tip - Did any of you happen to play Saturday Night Genealogy Fun this past week? Randy Seaver had a great mission and I joined in. It was all about counting cousins. Randy used a Chart to count cousins but I used the Relationships Report  found in Legacy. It was a great way to find out my relationship to everyone in my family tree.

I ran the Relationship Report and saved it in a csv format and then opened it in Microsoft Excel. Using the filter feature I was able to easily find all those cousins (and the numbers were shown in my workbook). I went ahead and color-coded my various cousins (first, second, and so on). I wrote about it on my personal blogs (one of them is linked here).

So today's second Tuesday's Tip (for all of you who didn't need an introduction to our LVUG Community) is to count those cousins. You might be surprised by how many cousins you have and realize that you need to start getting in touch with them to learn more about your family. Please share if you run the Relationship Report and/or if you found another way to determine those relationships in Legacy. 
http://keoughcorner.blogspot.com/2014/05/counting-cousins-in-sngf.html

Comments

  1. I tried your method of filtering a csv file and it definitely works but it doesn't answer Randy's question specifically; how many descended from grand-parents and great-grandparents lines. I think that would take the extra step of defining and tagging a focus group first. Otherwise the numbers are astronomical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my directs tagged (father's side are 1 and mother's side are 2) and those were the reports I ran - that is one of your options in Relationship Report. I think (I hope) I mentioned that in my blogpost on Saturday. Thanks though for pointing that out JL Beeken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father's side and mother's side are still not descendants of grandparents or great-grandparents. (I think?)

    Anyway, I realized I had skewed my numbers because I was just looking for any cousins that matched, not only specific descendants. For instance, I can find 1st cousins, once or twice removed way over somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - I tagged my grandparents and great grandparents and worked down (but although they are all in the family tree I do keep my sides separated with my tagging options). When I checked my lists is worked as it only brought up my first cousins and the correct versions (removed, etc. and then second and third, etc.). And I did explain who the people were and the number of children they had in my blogpost. I do get that you can't start with a parent and work up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't figure out how to do that so I just looked at the  descendants view in RootsMagic and counted them.  Well done, Tessa Keough

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment