Tuesday's Tip - Thanksgiving edition!

First off,  I am thankful for my co-moderators here at the LVUG Community -Susan Clark Linda McCauley and Carol Stevens have been and continue to be a huge help and keep me in the know genealogy speaking. We have been joined in hangouts by Monique Riley and Shannon Thomas who have shared their knowledge of Legacy and other great tools like Animap and Evernote. To all those who started out with us and to all of you have joined us - as of today 762 members - thanks and welcome. To the folks at Legacy Family Tree Software who have put together a great software program and continue to make improvements and inform and educate with their Legacy Webinars - thanks. And to the Google folks who provide the opportunity for us to use Google+, YouTube and Communities - so we can all share online - we have come a long way in the past few years!

Now to share a little bit of how I am using Legacy this Thanksgiving season. I put together some photos and Legacy screenshots to share with family members (both in person and virtually). I put the entire "show" in PowerPoint, but you could use any program you are comfortable with. I grabbed some of the slides and uploaded them to share with you (and hopefully give you some ideas). Be sure to include photos, tell a short story and give your audience names and dates with your slides. This doesn't have to be perfect AND it can be a work in progress. It is a great way to share and we even made up some of the screenshots as place-mats (laminate them!).

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and I hope you get to spend it with family and friends. Safe travels. Remember to be grateful for all we have and show our appreciation for our blessings by sharing with others. Happy Thanksgiving (oh and let us know what you do to share your family history at Thanksgiving - it is one of the best times to grab those family members' attention!). 














Comments

  1. I love it Tessa Keough   Such a fun idea.  Makes me wish I had time to put one together by Thanksgiving, maybe Christmas. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa Keough  Wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It started out as a school assignment - the lovely blonde was supposed to see if she looked like any ancestors or had any of their traits, and/or if there were any traditions (including rituals, holidays, activities) that were passed down. When I was helping her on this I decided it would be easier to include photos and then I had to say who the people were. Then she wanted to know how she was related. So we started playing around. Legacy views and stats came in really helpful and now everyone wants their own version! The idea for place-mats was simple because you can print these up on 12 x 12 scrapbook paper and laminate. Sometimes we get crafty! I can definitely see playing with the Christmas photos in December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the print shop a week or so ago and saw some laminated place mats that had pedigree fan charts on them along with some pictures.  Turns out the person who had these mats made up put pictures of his children and grandchildren on their own mats to individualize them for each of his descendants.  It was for Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tessa Keough , well done.  First,

    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

    Next, I will post an image of a pedigree chart, with photos, as an example of how that looks.  I do love my photos!  :-)

    As some of you know, I also love Families, the app for my iToys.  Families brings in all my photos, and I have a BUNCH of photos.  In fact, I switched to Legacy so I could use Families.  Ya, really.  

    The family knows I have the app, they know I have photos, they are starting to ask questions, and I pull out the app and away we go.  Yep, love Legacy and Families and my iToys.  

    LOL

    Now, I'll go post the image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unless I am going mad I am sure I have already posted Tessa Keough I loved looking at this. Such a fun thing to do. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Julie Goucher  - it was an easy way to put names with faces and then share just a bit with family (and not overwhelm them). And every single one of my cousins thinks they look like one of the ancestors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment