New to Legacy - have some questions.

Hi. I just came across this group and joined it. I purchased Legacy on Wednesday when I learned of the demise of FTM. I have been watching a lot of tutorials but am wondering if someone can help me with a couple of questions.  I have been researching my genealogy for about 12 years or so, maybe longer.  Like many others, I didn't site my sources as I should have. I am taking this opportunity to start fresh, double-check everything, and then enter all of my data correctly.

I was wondering what to do with my photos. I have digital scans of many photos. I understand how to get my pictures into Legacy, but I don't see a way to enter a source citation.  Do I just type it in manually? What do you do?  

Along those same lines, I have some original documents (like my birth certificate). I obviously own the document. How do I enter and source that?  Do I just upload the item.

Do I consider all photos and documents that I have in my possession to be "artifacts"?

If I find an image online that I want to use, how do I enter citation details for that? 

I'm hoping I'm just missing some sort of linking option.
Please help!

Thanks.

Comments

  1. You create the source, and then attach the image to the source

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff has 3 great webinars on sourcing on the webinar page. One on census, one on death cert and one on marriage (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For documents like birth certificates, I create events for birth certificates, death certificates, newspaper clippings, marriage certificates, etc.  You can add the copy of the document in both the event & the source for it.  I do the same for headstones so I can source it and know whose picture it was. 
     
    At the top section where the person’s birth, death, etc. are, if you click on the + in the middle section, you will see birth pictures, etc.  I also add the document in the appropriate section. 
     
    If they are my pictures, I don’t source them but if they are someone else’s, I have an event “photos” so I can add a source.  I do that with some of my pictures also because if you are printing reports, Legacy will only print the primary picture and I have some I want to include. 
     
    You can mark stuff private if they aren’t things you want printed on reports or uncheck the box for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help.
    So I will add an event for the photos and documents. Is there a way to attach those to more than one person without retyping the caption/date/info part? 
    When you want to use yourself as the source, how do you set that up? The only way I could figure it out with the sourcewriter was to refer to them as "Artifacts" and "Privately Held" and then change the details for each one. Am I on the right track?
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, that's what I do for myself as a source. I have a source called Personal Collection of Lynn Dosch. I put my name because I also have scans of collections from my mother and my mother-in-law. This covers papers, photos, and artifacts which I then enter into the detail section. This way I keep the chain of ownership clear, since my Mom's stuff is now in my possession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To copy pictures, just right click and you can copy one or copy all.  Go to the person you want to past it to and right click & paste.
     
    For an event that you want to copy, on the right side where it has save, cancel, etc.  At the bottom of that list below help, there are 2 little buttons – the one on the left is the copy and the one on the right is paste. 
     
    You can copy an event and paste it in the same person and then change the name of the event.  I do that if I have stuff in the obit I want to save as a separate event then you get your source with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I copy the events like I mentioned above, I will keep my picture (i.e., obituary) clicked for the original but then unclick it for the others so 10 copies of the obit doesn't print in my reports.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best features of Legacy is the Source Writer which give you templates for just about any source you can image.  Geoff has some good webinars.  Also Legacy has produced some very good training CDs on how to use Legacy. One is on sourcing.  Check out the sources tab on the left of this page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment