October 29th - Are you a frustrated genealogist?

Photo by Hans Peter Gauster on Unsplash

Are you a frustrated genealogist? There are some days when I feel like I am spinning my wheels. Perhaps it is that ancestor who refuses to be found (what is with that Peder?). Perhaps it is that  genealogy society I belong to that I only hear from when it is renewal time. Perhaps it is some of my genealogy friends online that take gentle digs at each other or constantly complain about everyone else but seem to think they are perfect. Perhaps it is tech glitch that fails to save the research summary I was working on  or won't let me into the webinar or hangout. Okay - you get the idea!

On those days - and we all have them - what do you do? Well I focus on getting a little instant gratification from doing the tried and true things.

(1) First take that breath and let that frustration roll off you back!

Leave that renewal for another day and give some thought to not only want you get out of the organization but also what you put in to the organization. Is it a two-way street or do you consider paying your dues your "part" of the equation?

Stop spending lots of time reading those Facebook or Google posts, those Tweets or those blog posts that you know will put you on your last nerve. We know our triggers - walk away from those folks. Think about how you use social media - it is a great place to learn and share but this isn't high school.

Keep up with the technology and don't panic when things go wrong - there is usually a solution (a great use of Facebook and Google groups and YouTube). Ask the question, check out the answers and work your way through the issue. This too will pass!

(2) I take a look at my Legacy To-Do List and focus on a few quick and easy to-dos that I can knock out (thanks FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast - available 24/7 with indexes and records to search).

(3) I clean up things - Do you have a stack of genealogy related filing? Is it time to take a look through your Legacy Master Lists? Instant gratification comes from sprucing up my location list, my source list and my address list (just in time for holiday cards - Thanksgiving and Christmas).

(4) If your Master Lists are already perfect (really, that's impressive!), then I focus on cleaning up one of my events/facts lists - there are always new FindAGrave entries to find!

So there you have it - today shake off that frustration and do something positive with that angst.

Comments

Post a Comment