It's October 1st - the start of FAMILY HISTORY MONTH.

Photo by Danielle Macinnes on Unsplash

It's the start of (you guessed it) FAMILY HISTORY MONTH in the United States. Every day during the month of October we will share a post, an image, or a video relating to family history and our favorite genealogy management program (you guessed it) LEGACY FAMILY TREE software. Now there is always a theme for our Family History Month fun (check out October 2013 and October 2014 Tuesday's Tips if you are new to the LVUG Community) and I will share that with you tomorrow.

But first a bit of history - in 2001 Congressman Orrin Hatch of Utah introduced a resolution to make October Family History Month in the United States. His reasoning - "By searching for our roots, we come closer together as a human family." Congress passed that resolution and 2015 marks its 15th year. While many countries have a day or a week, not many others have a month-long celebration  (nod to Australia which also celebrates for a month in August). Be sure to check out activities at your local and state genealogical societies and libraries to celebrate Family History Month in person. And come back here every day to celebrate online.

Today - we are going to kick things off with a reminder to back-up your Legacy family files and custom settings. Why? Well, it is the first of the month and as good a day as any to do your backups on a monthly basis. More importantly, how do you feel about doing work a second or a third time? Right, nobody wants to recreate what they have lost. We would all rather do additional research, transcribe new records, and find more extended family. So backup today and avoid spending any time "recreating" what you have already done.

Comments

  1. I am going to start my backups in just a few.  Such a good reminder,  I do one full data file back up on the first and another on the 15th.  And, I do daily write over backups on a third external hard drive.  How much do you value your work??

    I have no option to do "cloud" backups due to our lifestyle and where we live and how I get on the internet.

    No matter where or how - - back em up folks!

    Thanks Tessa Keough  for this great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I back up weekly and daily.  Determined to never lose my genealogy.  Good reminders for those who still think they don't really need to back up because they have a "great computer"... 
    Have a wonderful month (and year - isn't it your birthday around now?)  Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes indeed - October is my birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I close Legacy it backs up and that is in the cloud on Onedrive I think ( I just made a few changes on how I do things). Then once a month I get an Evernote reminder to back up and those backups are saved in Dropbox...I only keep the three most recent ones. Then my whole computer including cloud folders is backed up to the cloud daily. I know what it's like to loose files and I am trying to make sure that never happens again!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment