October 22nd - Today is all about Mothers!

Today is all about mothers!

Photo by Dakota Corbin on Unsplash

Whether you call her mom, momma, mother, or mum - let's focus our 15 minutes on our mothers.

If I were to open your Legacy family file and click through to your mother's individual or family view, what would I find? Would I be able to see your mother (have you included images)? Would I be able to follow the timeline that is her life (have you added events large and small)? Would I walk away from the exercise with some sense of who she was, where and how she lived, her background, education, interests and hobbies, strongly held beliefs, her remembrances of her parents and grandparents, and/or her thoughts on her life at various stages?

Of course (or at least I hope so) when we enter information about anyone in our Legacy family file, we include "the facts." You have (I hope) your mother's full name and the basic information. If your mother is still living, you have the opportunity to interview her and get more details (those small things that may appear insignificant but add so much to a person's life story). If your mother has died, I hope you had the chance to ask her questions, learn a bit about her life BC (before children), and get to know her as a person. 

Carol Burnett (an American actress and comedienne) said " I wish my mother had left me something about how she felt growing up. I wish my grandmother had done the same. I wanted my girls to know me. "

We have the opportunity to share our mother's story by including more than the basic facts. For good or ill, a mother has a huge impact on her child. Take the time to share a bit about your mother's life in your Legacy family file. Leave that life story (images, documents, facts, and stories) so that others in your family can get to know her today and in the future.

Comments

  1. I wasn't the first one to think of this, but cookbooks could be a source for Mom Facts. I have a copy of the church cookbook that has a recipe of my mother's in it. Unfortunately, I can no longer ask her why she selected  that recipe, how she acquired it or who taught her to bake it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea from whatever source Stacy Goddard - be sure to ask the cooks in the family (we have some fathers and grandfathers who are great cooks as well) about their favorites and even what they ate growing up. It is such a difference today with all the ethnic foods - we grew up with all kinds, my mom said the first ones she recalled were Italian and Chinese.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment