October 13th - Are you having fun with your genealogy?

Photo by 2photo pots on Unsplash

Are you having fun with your genealogy? For many of us our family history is a passion - it is the thing we turn to learn more about our families and extended families, it is an opportunity to figure out a puzzle, help someone else with their research, teach someone how to use a record set or research tool, or perhaps take a break from a demanding job or family! Hopefully we learn to pace ourselves so that we don't feel burdened or burn out on our research efforts.

Are you enjoying yourself? Great - keep at it! Are you beginning to feel overwhelmed or like what you are doing is a chore? Then take a break! Guess what - those ancestors will still be there waiting for you after you have relaxed, recharged and are ready to reignite that fire.

Personally I find that having a few different projects to work on keeps me from getting tunnel vision or getting burned out. I work on a one-name study (so if you have any Keoughs in your database or you know any Keoughs - send them my way!) and I really enjoy the armchair travel and opportunity to learn how to research in countries, regions, provinces or states that none of my ancestors lived. I work on a one-place study and find learning about the history, culture, politics and people of Place Cove East (and surrounding communities) in Newfoundland fascinating.

Each of those studies encourages me to work with different technology, records and research - so I am always learning something new. And often just thinking differently helps me break through frustrations with my own family history research. As I discussed in the presentations I did for the Legacy Webinar series this year, I use Legacy for my own family history, my one-name study and my one-place study. I am still having fun so I am going to keep at it - how about you? 

Are you doing any specialized studies or helping others learn how to do genealogy (teaching is a great way to get your enthusiasm back and a newbie's excitement is contagious)? Why not share with us in the comments section below. And if you have any special ways to "keep it fun" why not share them with the rest of us.

Comments

  1. I'm having MORE fun since I limit my time and splice it with physical activity. When I come back to it each day I'm more energized and interested than I would be if I spent all day here.

    The slant chart has revolutionized the use of my time. http://bit.ly/1sQx9RK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just working tonight on a presentation to teach at our local Family History Center in two weeks. I am teaching there tomorrow also.  I volunteer to teach twice a month. I enjoy teaching and seeing  "the light bulb moment" people can have when something clicks, or they learn something new that can help them in their genealogical quest. It is fun!

    I enjoy listening to online webinars throughout the week and I just returned a
    few weeks ago from a week in Salt Lake for the British Institute of Genealogy. It was fantastic, although exhausting.  When you are next door to the Family History Library you tend to burn the candle at both ends. But so grateful that I was able to go. It was fun!

    Once in a while I do need a break, but always come back sooner than later.  (I think I am a genealogy addict!)

    BTW Tessa Keough,  I do have one Keogh family in my tree! Joseph Wilfred Keogh married my 1st cousin 3x removed, Florence Wilson Baker, in 1882 in England. They had three boys. I will email you the details when I get a chance. Collaborating is fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment