Tuesday's Tip - today we have a few tips for you!

Today we have a few tips for you!

(1) Continuing with the back to school theme for September - have you checked out the Legacy Webinar series for the remainder of 2015? Now that Summer is over (officially - in the northern hemisphere with Labor Day just concluded), review the many webinar sessions and sign up for any that interest you  (Legacy has made it easy by letting us sign up for several webinars at once). So whether it is methodology, location or records focused, or the newest technology trends, there is something for everyone.

Photo by Kimberly Farmer on Unsplash

(2) I am a daily walker and now that one of the largest Catholic cemeteries is within walking distance, I am using one walk a week to visit and photograph gravestones. I checked the status of entries on FindAGrave as well as BillionGraves and now I need to make some decisions. Do I work with one or both of those websites? What is the best way  (efficient way) to work with the websites? What settings do I need to play with on my smarter-than-me phone so I don't drain the battery AND don't use a huge amount of my data plan?

BillionGraves does a great job of showing where the photos have been taken (I can see that one section of the cemetery has been photographed and uploaded to its' site). FindAGrave indicates that over 10,000 are interred at Calvary, but I need to figure out which have been added and if their numbers are correct. I am pretty new to this project (taking photos and/or sharing the inscriptions online, as my previous projects have involved private records or small cemeteries in far away places) so, thoughts please from our LVUG Community on what you do and how you do it with either or both of these websites.

(3) Of course - how does this all fit in with Legacy? Well, I make serious use of FindAGrave for people in my Legacy database. JL Beeken has some great posts about the process and we have shared how to incorporate FindAGrave entries as "events" in our Legacy family files. Heck I even use a tag for FindAGrave entries to make sure I have consistently entered both the event and the source information. Why not share any tips you have for making those entries from FindAGrave or BillionGraves in the comments section below. Fall is a perfect season for taking those photos and I find early morning the best time. If there is a cemetery near where you live, why not get some genealogical pay it forward in with a walk!
http://familytreewebinars.com/upcoming-webinars.php

Comments

  1. Here's a Search string for Find A Grave:

    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=[firstname]&GSmn=[middlename]&GSln=[surname]&GSbyrel=in&GSby=[birthyear]&GSdyrel=all&GSdy=[deathyear]&GScntry=0&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

    And here's the post about where to put it in Legacy:
    http://bit.ly/1XqSUCw

    I haven't gotten around to using BillionGraves yet unless it shows up in FamilySearch results which has only happened a couple of times so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the attraction of BillionGraves as it shows the GPS coordinates but probably uses lots of data plan and battery (saw questions about that online). And although I set my settings to only use WiFi (learned that lesson with Netflix when WiFi got spotty and it switched over to data) I had not also checked my Google settings to do the same thing so it synced my photos through data (appears that is a separate process with Google settings) - lesson always check those settings, not only in phone settings but also app settings!

    Now to check out JL Beeken's search strings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment