Tuesday's Tip - just in under the wire.

Just in under the wire (I am on the West Coast today). Have you looked at the calendar lately? It is mid-September which means we are almost 3/4 of the way through 2015. Where did the time go?

Photo by Plush Design Studio on Unsplash

Did you make a genealogy plan at the beginning of the year? If so, how are you doing on any tasks, projects and/or seminars and conferences you made part of your plan? We still have 3 months+ to work our plans. I just took a look at my to-do list in Legacy and it is time to work on the high priority items and the low hanging fruit (working on my FindAGrave entries). If you haven't taken a look at your to-do list in a while, this week might be a great time. And then do a little bit each week to work through your to-do list.

It is important every so often to STOP and take a look at what you have accomplished (whether on plan or not), tweak your plan, and then push forward. Let's have a great final quarter to 2015. What are you planning on working on?

Comments

  1. On my slant chart, http://bit.ly/1sQx9RK, I've put Tag 3, Tag 4 and Tag 5. I rotate them working an hour on one per day. That chart also includes non-genealogy things (O, horrors! Yes, I have an extra-curricular life.) The tags include things like downloading from FAG (I've gotten WAY behind) and still cleaning up Master Source/Source Detail. Now that summer vacation is over I will be writing to my DNA matches again, 10 at a time, and I've got 1,000 left to go. No pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always amaze me JL Beeken but I am also a list maker (charts sound a bit more fun) and I like working my way through tasks. I set timers and give myself rewards (positive reinforcement helps - that is how I got my FitBit).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa Keough I looked up FitBit. I don't have a mobile device so I can't use one?

    I'm basically a serious space cadet. Just ask anyone who knows me. If I want to get anything done I really have to keep lists. There's no point putting non-computer items like exercise on my computer because, you know, it would be on my computer. So the chart on the bulletin board is (mostly) for non-computer things to 'force' me to remember I have a non-computer life and goals that matter. If could exercise at least a little bit everyday, enough to earn a check mark, that would be really good. And the chart IS helping because it's right there in my face and a year from now, or six months, either I have pages full of check marks or I don't. Would I rather feel like crap and beat myself up for blowing my goals once again? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use FitBit on my mobile, I use it with my computer. The USB connector reads my little FitBit One (I hate the idea of a band) and then I fill in the rest. It keeps me motivated. I agree whether a handwritten or typed chart or a software program, whatever works and gets you paying attention is good. And all things in moderation right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tessa Keough Yes, moderation. It's amazing what a little of this and a little of that in the right direction can accomplish over time. When we bite off too much we tend to give up.

    My mother was here for a visit and I gave her one of those slant charts after she oohed and aahed over it. She's one of those people who's busy, busy, busy all day long but never feels like she accomplishes anything. There's a huge difference between being busy and doing something that matters to you. Lecture over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment