Tuesday's Tip - Focus on one thing!

We had a very busy Thanksgiving weekend (Thanksgiving in 2 parts because family was in from out of town). Everyone has traveled back home and now we put up the lights and the Advent season begins. As we prepare for the Christmas holidays, we get very busy and maybe we have less time for our family history (understandable, but ...).

My Tuesday's Tip this week is to encourage all LVUG Community members to lighten up and enjoy the season. Focus on one project and spend a little time on it each day (break it down into manageable pieces). A project I am working on is to get through my Search Results for possible FindAGrave entries. My tip is to make that search list and then work on a dozen names each day (I am getting up a half hour earlier to get this done in peace and quiet). It moves pretty quickly and I can easily pick up from where I left off on my list because it is my last search list (nice feature). Since I have the source citation set up and saved, I can easily make sure that I get right back to it each morning and always include the source citation. I am working my way through the alphabet and will have at least 372 entries by December 31st.

Why not pick one research task to focus on this month, spend a half hour each day and power through it (one less item to have on your list in 2015). So, what do you plan to work on?

Comments

  1. Clever tip, Tessa Keough - I might do something similar... although I'm trying to re-write my tree as well, as the other tasks on my Genealogy list and my Writing list.  And then there's family, and...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the list never ends - so I just choose one thing and set the timer - I am getting pretty efficient at this! Take care Celia Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine will be to get the pile of things that I have on my desk from all my research trips this year organized and filed! In a half and hour a day? Perhaps there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give it a try Cheri Hudson Passey with a half hour each day you will get at least 15 hours closer to your goal this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip Tessa.  Except that I will process the Find A Grave information in my Clooz file, then 'one click' transfer all of the data to its proper location in Legacy, including the image links.  Best of both worlds for my research. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Ila East I am a big fan of the timer - instant gratification, keeps me on task (no rabbit holes while I am working on my project), and you can always have a reward system (but I tweak mine a bit) - throw $1.00 (or whatever amount works for you) in the Projects Done tin each day and at the end of the month - give to a charity of your choice. A sense of accomplishment and doing a bit of good. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a timer too. I will be cleaning up my file and filing papers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am working through a Find A Grave list as well Tessa Keough. Right now there are 189 people tagged that need Find A Grave events done but I know there are more so I will be doing a little investigating before I get started.  I will definitely be using the timer idea to help get more done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 1243 files to file, (add metadata first) or delete (that should shorten the process) and my goal for the end of the year. 27 days to go; 46 files a day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment