Another Tuesday's Tip - Some days I am on a roll!

Actually on the Legacy User Group a person asked how anyone handles their patronymic surnames and farm names (love those bygdebokers). If you have Scandinavian ancestors you will know what he was talking about - if you don't, perhaps you will find another use for my little "cheat." 

The Norwegians who lived on farms used the farm name as a means of identification - so Erik Ivarsen, Medkilplass/Hastagjerdet was Erik Ivar's son born on  the Medkilplass farm who moved to the Hastagjerdet farm. Of course his nine children were either Erik's datters (daughters) or Erik's sens (sons) and they were born at Hastagjerdet. I use the individual's patronymic name cause that is the name they used AND I put the farm names in the suffix title. It looks a little something like this. I know the same holds true for my Swedish ancestors (most of whom were on farms as well). 

If you have Scandinavian ancestors, how do you keep track of the patronymic and farm information?


Comments

  1. If I had names like that I would be so confused...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I got into the farmbooks (and if you have Norwegian ancestors - run don't walk to the FHL  to enjoy them - and some university libraries have them as well) and you get a map out (or use Google) it is so much fun and gives you so much history. You can follow along where everyone went - I really wish we had them for so many other countries' farm communities. And know I feel like I know these people (and did I mention there are photographs?!). After awhile the farm names are second nature and I love patronymic naming (pretty good chances of knowing the answer to "whose your daddy?").

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment