Linking Evernote files to Legacy.


Once you create your note in Evernote :

1. Right click on note in Evernote and click Copy Note Link.

2. Open the Media Gallery by clicking on the image icon below your person ( you can also open the Media Gallery from within an event).

3. Click on Add Media and then Internet Website.

4. Paste link in Website URL and add any thing else.

5. Click OK and then double click to open.

Note : Legacy opens your browser first for you to log in to Evernote on the web and then opens the desktop version of Evernote with you note visible.

I know it looks like a lot but it is really easy.

In the Media Gallery you can also attach documents. I have saved information to PDFs and attached them as well but I don't have to do that step now since Legacy will open an Evernote note. YAY!!
















Comments

  1. One reason I use Legacy and not an on line service as my primary tool is to have all under my control and not need a constant internet connection. I like Evernote, and the process you describe looks simple, but how would a person who had used Evernote extensively cope with passing on his complete research to a successor aftrer his death — maybe only after probate, so email addresses would not have survived, nor on line accounts? (Solicitors run to their own particular schedule and most don't understand technology at all, and certainly not the time limits (very short) needed to retain online accounts (including domain registrations)). My email address is linked to a domain I own, based on my surname.
    I assume the Evernote records on the computer would survive the demise of Evernote or the researcher. How much work would be needed to use these — is it even possible?Clearly Evernote learns more about how you use its product if it enforces linking only via the online version.
    I appreciate this overlaps into another topic, that of enabling a successor to access your research, but I was really wondering "is there a workable technical fix that keeps it all local, with the online copy as backup rather than working version?".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My genealogy Evernote files are exported as html files and saved with my legacy files on a monthly basis.  All Evernote files are saved locally to your computer and also online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment