What are your plans for genealogy during the summer vacation?

I know it is not officially Summer but when the calendar turns to June, we know school days are coming to an end. With that in mind, I thought I would turn the tables (so to speak) for this week's Tuesday's Tip. What are your genealogy and family history plans for Summer 2014? Are you attending any conferences (like SCGS Jamboree 2014 in Burbank, California this weekend)? Are you going to your ancestors' homes (either in your own country or crossing the pond) to do some research? Are you enjoying a staycation and doing some research right in your own town or city?

Whatever your Summer plans are - how do you prepare for research trips, conferences or seminars? And how do you use any of the Legacy features to help you plan your workflow?  

Tuesday's Tip is going in the other direction today! (I'm knocking on that monitor and trying to get your attention!) We have 630 members (welcome to any new members!). It is time for our LVUG Community members to "own" Tuesday's Tip by sharing your tips for using Legacy with your research trips, cemetery visits, seminar or conference attendance, or staycations.

Let the LVUG Community members' comments begin! I will check in later today with my tip, but who is going to get the balling rolling? Come on, why not share with the rest of us.

Comments

  1. My family history plans for this summer will include watching the free live streaming from Jamboree this weekend, but mostly I will be busy taking care of living family members!  How I like to use Legacy to prepare for research trips is to record "To Do" items as I think of them and then attach the repository.  Then at the spur of the moment, if I am able to get away, all I have to do is print that To-Do list by repository and I am ready to go. If I know we are driving past a family cemetery, I can print a list of those buried in a particular cemetery by going to the Master Event Address List because I record the cemetery name in the burial address field.  These two features are very helpful to me.  I also would like to search a manuscript I just found out that exists at the local university written by an old funeral director where many of my ancestors lived. I will use the "Detailed Search" feature to create a list of those who died in the time frame and place to take with me to see if I can find any references to their funeral and burials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My summer, hopefully, will be spent catching up on lots of stuff, including, but, not limited to, input, input, input!

    To do lists, pretty much what Monique Riley does.  Only I do not use the burial address feature (did not have that on prior software, did not know what it was till recently, THANKS to this group!  :-)   )

    I use the Master Locations list, find the cemetery or place of interest, and view the connected ancestors that show up.  Not real pretty or fancy, but, it has worked sufficiently for me to give me more than enough to do at any research stop I have made.  

    What I do love is that there are several different methods to finding and managing research trips/to do lists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My summer typically does not involve much genealogy. It's a time to put the computer to rest and get outside for some natural vitamin D. Judging from the reduced activity here, a lot of others may be doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may be right Ed Allard - hmm maybe a summer vacation or at least a partial one. Do our LVUG Community members take the summer off from their genealogy pursuits?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work genie any time I get a moment, year round, 365.  Some days of course, it is simply checking email.  But, I do not take off summer.  Summer is a great time to travel and get into the cemeteries (like the ones up north that are feet of snow in February).    Giggling a bit, we are supposed to take time off of genie??  Who knew??  Wink wink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is usually when I get my trips in (to courthouse, archives and cemeteries). I usually try to wrangle my family members for information because we either have a reunion or a party every summer - party this year. Who knew others took time off? We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping to work my way through my file-boxes scanning and stitching all legal sized paper. But not every minute of the day because the Sun is out and Fall comes again quicker than we realize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is true JL Beeken I find it helps to have one easy and one more involved summer project and then relax and enjoy the good weather as the rain and snow will return soon enough! Scanning is a good project to get through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment