Printing a pedigree chart and have questions.

Looking for some ideas to help a fellow Legacy user who is going on a research trip. Here is the gist of her question

"I am going to be travelling a bit in Germany in about a month and I have one day set aside to research in an archive that has previously yielded a wealth of information on this particular family (I hired a researcher who went to the archive on my behalf).  Since the archive is only open for 6 hours, two days a week, this one day is my only chance so I want to maximize my results in any way that I can by the best preparation possible.

I will not have help from the staff there and they don't speak any English anyway.  I am supposed to just bring a pedigree chart with me and can't bring very much into the archive.

I am printing a pedigree chart and family group sheets (I am interested in all siblings, spouses, etc. and will likely copy/save anything with any of my surnames if I can - they make the copies for you and I can't take digital photos of the images - very strict archive, you even have to sign a disclaimer stating that the images won't be posted online)

What else would you do, or have you done in the past, for this sort of archive work?  Are there any other reports that I can print that would be helpful?  I would really like something like a pedigree chart that would also show details of all of the children of each marriage -- something that I could follow easily without going back and forth between FGS to see how each fits into the family.

I know this is a bit long but I figured it would be more useful if you all knew what sort of situation I'm heading into.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!  If you have any specific suggestions for Germany (Schleswig-Holstein area / Kollmar-Neuendorf area / Archive in Wrist) please contact me privately by email."  Kathy  (Orem UT)

Kathy was told on the Legacy Users email forum that her question was off topic - so I thought perhaps since we are all about using Legacy and helping each other, that  we might have some ideas.

Any thoughts - post them here and we will make sure Kathy sees them. Do you do any research with German records and have any ideas on how to pull this together. Let's share!

Comments

  1. Are electronic devices allowed? My answer would be the Families app with my Legacy database, if that's allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this place is a stickler for paper (I was thinking the same thing and will pass your idea along) but if you were trying to get as much information about family members as possible would you work with a Legacy report and/or use a csv file?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda McCauley 's answer was my first, and only, thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd use a report over a spreadsheet because the format would likely be easier to handle in print than a spreadsheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so rarely use paper anymore that I have no answers. Every place I've been at least permitted my cell phone, which has the Families app. Because I do so much work with sibling lines, a pedigree chart is too limited and to print enough family group sheets to cope becomes unwieldy (in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they won't let her cell phone in (loaded with Legacy) and they won't let her camera in, she is going to have to go "old" school, the way we did research in the dinosaur age.  Print the group sheets, print pedigree charts, or ancestral charts. I traveled to England that way, and did a spot of research in Devon with paper charts.  I used the paper to make notes on.    The signing an agreement to not publish copies of the documents seems to be rather common as I had to sign the same type of agreement.

    I like the reports, as I don't talk csv or spread sheets.  I would suggest use whatever format you work with the best.  

    (Maybe print smaller font, use less paper, carry less on the plane?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment