Question about SourceWriter with BMD certificates

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please bear with me :-) I've just decided to buy Legacy Version 8 as whilst testing several programs I much preferred Legacy.

Until I am able to obtain an actual copy of any BMD Certificates, I have used Free BMD to locate the index numbers and wish to enter these as Source Citations - probably like many newbies I'm struggling to get used to doing this correctly.

In Source Writer I'm searching for BMD Index and then choosing:- Birth records> Birth certificate>England>Birth certificate, index> Online images.

Once I complete the Sourcewriter wizard the citation does not give the Volume and page number from the index even tho I have entered this :-(

Could anyone pass on some advice please as to if this is correct or what / if I need to change anything :-)
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Comments

  1. I went and played with this one (because since I am working on a one-name study I know this will come up at some point). You have the correct master source idea and when I did this in SourceWriter I added the basic information as you probably did and saved it.

    When I got to the detail for a person, I entered the event/fact as birth registration and then filled in a date and place. Then I brought up the master source and when I got to detail I did the entry name, volume, page and date and it worked to show the name, volume, page and quarter. Are you saying that when you entered and saved the "detail" it does not show up? If so, that might be because you have the verify detail box checked (I do that but I know most don't) - after I save the entry I have to click on the line (below the triangle) and that way I read through the detail to confirm my entry.

    If you don't have that box checked and you went through the process of entering data in the source detail and Legacy did not save it, than that is a glitch. Let me know if you followed the same steps I did (are we on the same page) or if you did something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tessa, Thank you so much for the quick reply, I followed your instructions and it's all there now :-) Probably schoolboy errors when I first tried !!

    Citing Sources seems difficult to get used to   but I'm getting there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no worries - every program is a bit different and it is a learning process - that is why all these Legacy users are here, to help each other. And your question got me thinking and figuring out how to add that source to my database for my one-name study - so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment