Issues with my Legacy database - help.

I have not posted before but I am in serious trouble. I use Legacy and love it but I am in trouble and cannot seem to obtain a reply from Legacy.

I was making some changes in my Master event definition list to make the descriptions more consistent. But now I find I have errors and the error message appears when I try to export a Gedcom "event definition was not found". Upon closer examination I have found the Birth Master list entries has vanished and 1871 English census is the same. I have resorted to backups but this error seems to have been there a while and I will need to add over 100 family members to get back to where I last have a clean file, Sigh.

Can anyone make any helpful suggestions or should I just start rebuilding.

Comments

  1. Neil Errey
    I'm not sure I have the proper solution, but if you have not done this, give it a shot - I don't know your Legacy expertise, so it might sound a bit pedantic - not intended.

    1. Backup your Legacy file
    2. Go to File - Maintenance and choose Compact File -- this should remove any extraneous material that might have crept in to your data tables.
    3. Try your operation again.
    4. If still a problem, go back to File - Maintenance and choose Check & Repair -- this should do as above but on a wider scale, reset your data tables and the inter-relationships between them.
    5. If Errors appear, re-run Check & Repair until error free.
    6. Try your operation again.
    7. If still a problem, contact Legacy Support. They are usually fairly responsive and helpful and reply within a day, depending on time zones.

    Or maybe someone else on this site has some other answers worth trying. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil, 
    Just to be sure:  are entries missing from the 'Master Event Definition List' or from the 'Master Source List'?  I realize you said 'Master Event' but then you said the 1871 census record is missing which would seem to me more likely to be an entry in the 'Master Source List'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ron Walter yes it was the Master definition list and I have events called 1871 England Census. Its confusing I know.
    Thanks also Ed Allard  Yes that fixed it. I should have been able to fix that but I was becoming rather confused and beginning to despair. I had a similar problem with just a few records some time and was able to recover.
    The way Legacy places all "lost events" into a "! Fix this Event Type - 1" that then allows you to correct the problem by reallocate it to the correct event is great.
    It's such a great program
    Thanks guys that is such a relief to have it fixed even if I did have about 2,800 records to alter. 
    Kept me busy for much of the day.
    I am still not sure how/why it happened though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment