Why we monitor the LVUG community.

It seems that every so often we get an influx of people who want to join the Legacy Virtual Users' Group Community. We moderators do our best to check the individuals before we accept or reject them.

Reasons to reject :
(1) clearly appear to be bots - no information, no posts, no other communities followed.
(2) clearly in sales - we don't sell anything on this site and are not interested in our Community being targeted for sales.
(3) blue heads with no information posted that we can see relates to family history or genealogy - I know some don't include avatars but if there is nothing that indicates a person has an interest in genealogy we question why they want to join.

BUT sometimes an individual gets past that first check (although our moderators are great) and if that happens, we usually catch it by their posts. Every so often I go through the list of members to make sure we don't have bots.

If you are here for genealogy and Legacy Family Tree discussion - WELCOME. We want to continue to keep this community free of bots and sales pitches. Let me know if we missed something. Thanks.

Comments

  1. It's been rather busy lately, I agree. More denied, I can guarantee than I have admitted. We try hard. BUT, if we miss one, please let us know as soon as you can and we will deal, as soon as we can.

    Research on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if the increase in interest happened about the time of the Legecy merge announcement. Some people in the Facebook group may be concerned that that forum may go away. I do not post here or raise/answer questions often because of circumstances but I do read the posts and appreciate you work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The increase I personally have seen and mostly denied access are NOT peeps interested in Legacy or the merger or anything like that. They are pure spam/scam/trouble types.

    We welcome an increase in members that are actually interested in Legacy and we have briefly discussed what this merger may mean to us as Legacy users. I think for the most part, the majority of us are in the "Observe" mode on the merger. I know I am.

    I am so UNWILLING to give up on Legacy at this point, that even tho I am bailing on Windows computers and moving over to Apple products, I am WILLING to go to the Parallels, so I can maintain Legacy. Yes, I am putting Windows on the Apple. Version 8.1. NOT 10. My choice, my comfort level on the Windows. But, I will still have Legacy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes what I noticed is totally inappropriate (no interest in genealogy, no posts, odd photos, political or sales sites). I think everyone is in a wait and see attitude about the merger. The good news is that the program works fine and is on our computers - I always say you own the program, it doesn't own you AND you should update if you want the changes or stick with the version that works for you. I like the program and the reports - I am not a fan of linking to online trees (I keep my work separate) but that is me - you might have a completely different approach AND THAT IS FINE. I try to be thoughtful and consistent but I don't feel that anything we do in our program is lockstep (because someone said so). That is the beauty of Legacy, we can customize as we see fit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment