How to cite the Tanguay Collection found on Ancestry.

I am sorry if someone already asked this, but I can't find it in the search. If I want to cite the Tanguay Collection found on Ancestry, how do I do that in Legacy? What do I call it? It is a genealogical database, but that's not one of the options in the Legacy citation program.

I know it's not a primary source, but I was considering putting it in my database anyway. Do you all leave it out and just look for the original church records?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  1. quick thought (not all that familiar with it) but it is listed as a dictionary so I would use that for the type and then you looked at it online through Ancestry - others' thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the SourceWriter: Generic Source - Online Database & Images. For the Detail, under Item of Interest, I enter the names of the couple and their marriage date which are usually the lead identifiers for the particular family, along with the Volume, Section & Page information. I also download and attach the image from Ancestry under Media. There may be another way to do it, but this works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should call it a generic source. It's clearly based on church records, but it is not a church record, just a compilation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thinking was that the source I'm citing is the database at Ancestry which also contains images of the books, so the database & images option seemed to be the best fit. It happens to be categorized as a Generic Source in Legacy, but I don't see that as a problem. There may be a better way to do it, but this is the way I cite this particular source.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment