We had a wedding in the family last weekend.

We had a wedding in the family last weekend. It was a big, noisy, wonderful Italian/Irish/Slovenian event - complete with pre-functions (4 showers, as well as bachelor and bachelorette parties), the rehearsal (a bit like herding cats) and rehearsal dinner (about 80 attended that - neither side has small families), the nuptial wedding mass, the reception, the day after family picnic, and the small (only 40 attended) opening wedding presents get together with the bride and groom (which closed out the weekend). That evening they took off for their honeymoon to be followed up with 2 more receptions, on the East Coast and in the Maritimes.

My first thought was I need to use my smartphone to take lots of photos and some video (the bride's parents' toasts were so amazing and so heartfelt). I wanted to capture images of so many things from the event - the family and friends who attended, the church, the reception, the toasts, the first dance, the new family members (all of whom will need to be added to our giant and extended family tree in Legacy).

Legacy gives us a place to enter the names, dates and places for a marriage event. Keep in mind that in addition to the marriage, you can include any additional "parts" of the big event - from engagement, pre and post wedding parties, the wedding announcement, program, toasts, list of attendees, photos and video recordings. How I would love to have more than a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day!

Do you have any weddings on the horizon? Certainly for direct line family give those events some thought AND plan to make memories now for future generations. And don't limit yourself to weddings - I am sure there have been graduations, birthdays, anniversaries, and family reunions (just past or coming up). All those events both big and small - recorded and added to our Legacy family tree will be a window to our world for those who follow after us.

How do you include events in your Legacy software? Why not share with the rest of us - resolve to start including those "current" memories!

Comments

  1. I am bad about entering in current memories! Need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked my sister and brother in law for copies of their toasts (I also recorded his with my mobile's voice recorder), and the priest for his sermon so I could add them to my Legacy file. I try to do a little bit - even if it is just getting the bare bones down (and get those family members to help out by writing up something you can add as an attachment). None of us will get it all but even a taste of the event is something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually add as one of many multimedia events, as the images of their lives. I have videos, slide shows, and just good ole photos. My direct line multimedia is extensive and intensive, well over 300 items for some. Starts at birth, ends with the headstone (if they have passed.)

    The built in slide show in Multimedia will show all the photos, etc. It is captivating for many.

    I don't have to open event after event after event for those with limited patience. Open, multimedia and let them scroll at their will. Works really well on the iToys with import to Families app. The little ones even enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea Carol Stevens - I find that people like to look at photos and videos, so you are able to draw them in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment