Tuesday's Tip - Irish records and source citations.

Tuesday's Tip - It's March and with the start of a new month we have the start of all celebrations for Ireland's patron saint - St. Patrick. (Best parades and goings on I have attended - Chicago, New York, Dublin & Seattle).

In case you didn't notice #FindmyPast has done all genealogists searching for their Irish roots a huge service - records that were made available originally by the National Library of Ireland late in 2014 have now been fully digitized and indexed (many researchers don't know the county or parish their family members came from so this is a huge help - if you search by surname). So if you have Irish roots - be sure to check out FindMyPast this week (Mar 1 - Mar 8) and be sure to read this article at IrishCentral to learn more about this amazing record collection.

For my part - I am looking for Keoughs, Murphys, Kielys, Butlers, Driscolls and Dooleys. We come from one of the smallest counties (Carlow) and two of the largest counties (Cork and Kerry). How about our LVUG community members - do you have any Irish roots? Have you found them? If not, I think I know what you will be doing this week! To those engaged in the hunt ádh mór (good luck).

I will be taking a look at the record set (and please suggest additional ones you find useful) and crafting my source citation for my Legacy family file and for next week's Tuesday's Tip. Because it is all about finding those records, making those connections, getting the information and source citations in our Legacy software, and then sharing our finds with family and friends!

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/genealogy/These-online-parish-records-will-forever-change-how-we-find-our-Irish-ancestors.html?utm_source=Mailjet&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Best%20of%20IrishCentral%20-%202016-Mar-1

Comments

  1. I'm not familiar with FindMyPast so I suppose that's adding to my confusion, but if I click on the link above I get taken to a page with a link that says, Irish Catholic parish register records that are 'free forever' and if I click on that link it takes me to, Pre-1901 Irish census records. First of all my relatives from Northern Ireland were Protestant, and second that would be mid-1700's so am I out of luck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. findmypast is a subscription site but this week all their Irish records are free (similar to when ancestry runs one of these events). The link should take you to IrishCentral which is a website that is all things Ireland. One of their articles is on the records that are now available. Hope that helps JL Beeken

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment