Shortcut for data entry.

I have found a way to cut down data entry from sources that change very little, like Swedish Church records.  The first time I tried this I did it with fear and trembling, but it seems to works.  I will outline what I did here:
My great uncle Johan Knut Carlsson appears in several Swedish parish record books  The only difference is the book number and the date range.
1) After making the entry for the first entry in book AI:56 (1858-1862),  I then
2) will select the same source and make the entry to the detail sections and then save.  This time he appears in book AI:62 (1863-1867)
3) I  then click on the Edit Source button, and make changes to the Source screen.
4) NOW for the word of CAUTION.  When you click on the SAVE  button, Legacy will give you a choice . Click on the SECOND OPTION: "2.  Apply the changes to a NEW copy of the master source."   This will create a new master source and leave the original the same.  If you mistakenly choose option 1, you apply all the changes to the first source, which would not be pretty.
Now for the screen shots. ( I can seem to get the laid out the way I want, but they are in order with the first shot on the left and the rest on the right from top to bottom).  If anyone know how I can post them from top to bottom I would be glad to reload the pictures.













Comments

  1. Excellent description Len Smith and great images that walk us through how you do it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the way you did this. I can see where this will be helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment