Tuesday's Tip - Interview those greats!

(I know it has been a few weeks - all that moving stuff is finally sorted and I have gotten my own life sorted - well, as much as any of us can!) Today's tip hits close to home and serves as one of those life lessons.

My great aunt died unexpectedly last week (a car accident). She was my grandmother's only surviving sibling and lived to the age of 99 (in January 2016 she would have been 100). She was in relatively good health and had a good long happy life. In fact she had spent the day with family and friends - canning and putting up whatever her garden had produced. I spent time with her last year - visiting and taping her memories of family and her life on the farm. I had planned to visit her again in early September to follow up on our conversations and review some documents she shared with me. Sadly that is not going to happen. 

I was able to meet up with extended family and friends at the funeral and listened to stories. Happily some people shared their email addresses and offered to do a bit of searching to share what they knew about the family. But we did lose the last of that generation. The lesson is "don't put off visits and conversations with our elders."

Today's tip is to go through your Legacy family file and do a search (I have my direct lines as Tag 1 and Tag 2) looking for those family members who are over a certain age (you pick the age). Did you find anyone that you should contact to ask questions, get stories or photos from, or visit to learn more about their life and the lives of their family members?

PLEASE take the time to make that phone call, set up that visit (in person or online), write that letter, or share that family group sheet. I am glad for the time I did spend with my great aunt Christine - I do wish I had taken the time this summer to visit with her again.

Comments

  1. Good advice. Since I am the oldest member of my family and the only one on my husband's side  (my generation) my challenge is to write my own history as my daughter keeps after me to do. It's not easy. I have a lot of notes on Legacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Such good advise. We need to take advantage of those older generations and take the time to let them share their life experiences. They are gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy Darland take a look at the interview questions found in Legacy and just give a topic some thought and tape it - either audio or make a webcam recording. It would be great to share the memories with you talking to your family members. I really wish we would have done more of that with my grandmother. As she got older she was concerned about her handwriting and making a short recording while you chat is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri Hudson Passey thanks - that is so true. I am making a point now of using my cell phone to make short audio recordings with my parents and aunts and uncles. Once you get people talking, the stories are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tip Tessa Keough and sorry about your great aunts passing.  I will add to your tip-- write up your own personal history and give it to several family members. Just like your aunt, we never know what the future brings. Accidents can happen to any of us, and I know all of us that call ourselves genealogists know the importance of having a personal biography.

    I second your advice on looking through the interview questions not only for others, but for ourselves.  I downloaded the PDF of this report and fill in answers from time to time.  Don't wait!  I also have taught a class entitled, "Write your personal history in one hour!"  We can always go back and add to it, but set a timer and get the basics down. You will be surprised on what you can accomplish and feel better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and glad to have you "back" Tessa Keough I know I have missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Tessa Keough . So glad you are sorted, I have missed your helpful posts also. Thanks Monique Riley , I must get back to updating mine, penned a few years back now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea Monique Riley - I am big on setting timers for any projects (I can do anything for 30 minutes or an hour). I am going to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment