Tuesday's Tip - I am a big fan of the Legacy Family Tree Webinar Series.

Tuesday's Tip - Whether you attend live, watch the recording during the "free" week, or are a member and watch whenever the mood strikes you - it's all good. Last week the webinar on Homestead Records & Following the Witnesses was excellent!

I consider a webinar worth my investment of time if (1) it addresses a topic I want or need to learn more about, (2) the presenter takes the time to present in an interesting and informative way, and (3) if there are one or two take aways.

(1) How many of us have ancestors who made use of the Homestead Act? I know that my James Murphy not only acquired land through the Homestead Act but also by purchasing land made available by the relinquishment of the War of 1812 warrants (another good webinar!). The homestead remains in the family today AND I found several additional extended family members who also acquired land through the Homestead Act.

(2) Although I have spent lots of time researching on my own, the presenter's examples and discussion either confirmed or made me give some more thought to my research.

(3) I went through the list of potential documents or pieces of information that make up the homestead process as presented. I was not aware that newspaper notices were filed on Homestead Act property - time to check out Nebraska newspapers to see if my James Murphy "was in the news." And I am giving some more thought to how I have added the various pieces of information in my Legacy family file.

If you have homestead act property in your family file - be sure to check out that Legacy webinar.

And now for a shameless plug - tomorrow evening (6:00 pm pacific time) I will be presenting on surnames and surname research in a SCGS webinar - it is open to all (members and non-members) and you can register online at their website. Part of my presentation is about how I include my surname research in my Legacy family file. We all have surnames - do you include information about surnames in your family files? It is a session for beginners, so no experience necessary. I hope to see some of you tomorrow!

So this week's Tuesday's Tip is keep learning and add what you learn in the facts and events section of your Legacy family file!

Comments

  1. I have the yearly membership and have watched ZERO! I keep thinking I'm going to watch, but TIME! I will probably resort to my ole stand by and "listen" to the webinars as I drive to work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, clients in town tommorrow, I'll miss your surnames webinar. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment