Unknown parents in Legacy.

How many of you have a family group where you don't know the name of one of the spouses, but you have children in the family group? I'm not talking about not knowing the wife's maiden name, but a situation when you don't know the father's name or the mother's name. I've gotten into trouble trying to add the spouse in family view, even if I have him/her in my database. When I choose "Add a Person" it creates a new marriage, even if you link to an existing person and any existing children become stepchildren.
To solve that problem, instead of clicking "Add a person," go to the marriage by selecting the spouse icon on the family view and selecting the "unknown" spouse from the list. Then select "Add new wife" or "Add new husband." Now you've got only one marriage with the children with the correct parents. Maybe everyone knew about this already, but this was a stumbling block for me and I hope it helps someone else from being frustrated.

Comments

  1. Good reminder though. I have done it wrong in the past and it can create a mess. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - great post and a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment