Questions regarding Tree Finder in Legacy 9.

Questions regarding TREE FINDER (View>Trees) Legacy 9 and deleting all parties in database that have one specific Source.

I am trying to delete all parties and their relatives who have a specific Source as the people identified with this source as I do not want these people in my database (not in any way related to me). So I went to View, Master Lists and clicked on sources, found that specific source, and then clicked on Show List and tagged those people. At the very top of the page listing all those people that are tagged, it says "All individuals who Use this Master Source 3735". DOES that mean that I will be deleting 3735 people? I won't be deleting anyone until I get an answer from someone who definitely knows and has maybe tried deleting in this manner.

Now, how does the TREE FINDER fit into this, or does it? BTW, it shows that I have 198 trees and shows a count number ranging from a low of 1 person in the tree to the highest of 9291 people, I think that's what it means! I tried clicking on the last person in the list (shows only a single person) and she does have the source I want to get rid of, is also a singleton entry and shows the correct tag number for those I tagged in the above paragraph.

Comments

  1. First, I'm trying to imagine how you got 3,735 people into your database that you don't want. Understanding that might go a long way to knowing the answer.

    Did you do something like import a gedcom of XYZ Ancestry Tree? Maybe you merged some of these people with other people you DO want to keep? In which case, don't delete this way.

    If your unwanted people are in the form of a tree with a single oldest person from which everyone else you don't want is descended, you could try searching for that person as a Focus Group; "Descendants of" and then tag them. With 198 trees in your database, it doesn't sound that clear.

    I don't know enough to risk a 'for sure' answer. Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JL Beeken. I would not delete based on the source. I would honestly go through each person one by one to verify if you really want to delete that person. You could delete by family group using a Focus Group like mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, start going through your 198 trees, one by one.

    IF you got your unwanted people by importing a file with that one source and that's all you did, it /seems/ to me it would be OK to delete the whole thing based on that one source. Focus on the words /seems/. But, is there anyone you want to keep using that Source? Do not listen to me. It's not my file and I can't see it in person and you would be taking advice from an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tree finder shows people listed on your data base that are not all connected to the same tree. You may have tried to add a person, and/or disconnected one from their parents, or something and they become a disconnected tree.

    It depends on your desires, do you want several trees under the same named data base?? For me, I don't. If I have disconnected I want to change that. If I want additional data bases for a specific group, I use a different name for that data base.

    I would work on that issue. One tree at a time, one party at a time. It is a separate issue from the sourcing issue.

    I would be extremely hesitant to delete almost 3800 peeps in one fell swoop for any reason.

    Now you might want to do a really good back up. Try this delete stuff, and if it turns out it is a catastrophe disaster, immediately put your back up in play. But, you better know what you are doing, and be very very careful!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the OP still with us? Or are we talking to the Moon? What I'd like to know is if 3700+ peeps came IN in one fell swoop. Because, if so, can't they go out the same way? I'm just askin'. I do agree with you about trees. I keep my 'odd' people elsewhere and look at them now and then. If I had 198 trees in one database ... um ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reluctant to tag her, as there is no avatar to verify and there must be a bunch of "Pat" peeps around, But, I'll try it anyway.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment