How do I eliminate duplicates in Gedcom import?

Yes, I'm still here and still trying to figure out how to eliminate these unwanted people without losing my whole database.

Not that I don't think there are those on this list that are very experienced with this program as I'm certain there are; however, I wish someone who is with the company would get online and explain to all of us how to safely delete these people. Is Jim Terry still with the company; always had great luck working through problems/questions with him as he not only could give me the solutions but the logic behind the answers in a form I easily understood.

Going back to the problem: Years ago when I first started with this program, another party gave me a Gedcom copy of a One name study (let's use the name WILSON as an example) he had done that was based on a name I also had and that at the time we thought was also related to the one person named Wilson I had in my tree.

His source for all the people in this Gedcom we'll say was named "The Wilson name in Georgia" and families, some with several generations if that information was available, of each Wilson were included. While some/many of the Wilsons in this Gedcom were probably related, not all of them are and I've later found out that NONE of the people in this Gedcom are related to anyone in my family. The only thing they have in common is the source, "The Wilson name in Georgia".

When looking at Tree Finder, it says "This is a list of each tree in your family file. The Count shows how many individuals are in each tree."' Mine now shows there are 386 Trees, many with only 1 or 2 people in them, but some with 160, 353, and the biggest one with 9291 people in them. It doesn't look like there is an "easy" way to eliminate the unwanted Wilsons by using the Tree Finder.

However, since ALL of the people I want to remove have the same SOURCE and no one else in my database uses that Source it would appear that I should work from that angle - someway.

If I go to View, Sources, find the source that is used by all the unwanted Wilsons and tag them, then click on "Show List", un-tag everyone in list to be on the safe side, then re-tag them, then I can go through the tagged people (all 3922 of them) and if they should be deleted, I can do that from that same screen by clicking on "Edit Person", checking to be certain I do want to delete them and delete them.

Does that sound like the way to do it safely?

Comments

  1. It makes sense to me that if none of the people in that gedcom are related to anyone else in your database, it should be Ok to follow the method you've outlined.

    Make sure you're not already using your chosen Tag# for anyone else. Go to the Advanced Tagging screen and Untag everyone on that tag # before you start.

    Once you have your tagged list, after clicking on Show List, you can use Advanced Deleting (under Options) to delete them all at once without confirming each deletion.

    I would wait for someone else to chime in here because, like I said, you could be taking advice from an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, your above comment sounds like you believe this is group is part of the company. It is not. This is a users group helping other users with using Legacy. If you are not already a member of the Legacy group on facebook you may want to join the group there. It is part of the company and is monitored by group members and company employees. The link to the facebook users group is: facebook.com - Security Check Required

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I would also suggest you may want to consider contacting support at Legacy directly. I believe you will find that info on their web site.

    Again, you can always try anything, BUT, first have a really current full backup of the data base. That way if anything goes awry, you have the backup and can install it and nothing lost, but, knowledge that something you just tried did or did not work as contemplated.

    Your issues with trees is, in my opinion, totally different that the one with getting rid of all those Wilsons. As I stated in a prior response, I would not be happy with multiple trees in one data base, but, that is how my brain works and my desires. We cannot tell you if it is right or wrong, it's your data base. If you feel it's wrong, then, look at each of the trees, ONE at a time, and see why that person or persons are in your data base. Is there a link to someone else, but, the link is broken or input was interrupted, maybe resulting in a fat finger type of error?? Don't worry, we all do it! LOL . One tree at a time if you want to address this particular part of your question.

    Removing all the peeps with one source, may be the way to go, but, I really think you should address this with support helpers at Legacy.

    Please remember that we have been told that Google Plus is going away soon, sometime this spring, I believe. At that point the suggestion of trying the Facebook group OR the support peeps at Legacy will probably be your line of defense and the places to go to ask questions.

    Good luck with your data base. One day at a time, one person/entry at a time, one tree at a time, one source at a time. It's a process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment