Tuesday's Tip - October is Family History Month in the USA.

Tuesday's Tip - October is Family History Month in the USA and there are so many activities you can join in on to celebrate the month. In previous years I have provided a tip a day (they are all here in our Community - just select Tuesday's Tip in the Filter to view them for the first time or as a reminder).

This month I am focusing on living family as my brother is in the midst of chemo and has had a few setbacks or bumps in the road requiring my time and attention (we both live in the same area and our extended family live farther away). Things should be back on track soon, but in the meantime, might I suggest that LVUG community members give some thought to the upcoming #FindAGrave Community Days scheduled for October 7-9.

(1) You can sign up at FindAGrave to take photographs and add memorials OR transcribe photographs of tombstones that are in the queue.

(2) You can simply go to the nearest cemetery and take photographs to add to FindAGrave's ever-increasing memorials. Be sure to ask permission if there is an office onsite and respect the privacy and seriousness of place.

(3) Go through your own Legacy family file and do some research - do you have family members buried far away? Why not check to see if they are included at FindAGrave and, if not, request assistance if you know the cemetery.

(4) Perhaps you have done the preliminary research (found those individuals, copied and pasted the information to your Legacy family file). Why not take the time to make sure you have sourced the information and include the memorial number in your event/fact entry. Some of our LVUG Community members have found great information and connected family members by taking advantage of researching with FindAGrave and entering their finds in their Legacy family files.

If you are unsure of how FindAGrave works and how you can either help out or get help, be sure to watch the recently added video found at Ancestry's Academy. This video is one of the free ones and even thought I am familiar and have used FindAGrave for a few years, I learned some new things. Simply go to Ancestry and click on Extras - Ancestry Academy and search for FindAGrave or use this link.
https://www.ancestry.com/academy/course/findagrave?ref=searchbar

Comments

  1. Great ideas Tessa!! I would love to take some pics at one of our local cemeteries but we are really busy this weekend with football and a family get together. However, I have some scheduled genealogy time this week and plan to work on FindAGrave in my Legacy database. If anyone is interested in seeing how I enter FindAGrave events in my database you can look at the following post on my blog.
    ourlifepicturebypicture.com - Our Life Picture by Picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for sharing Shannon Thomas hopefully I will get some time this weekend and get all caught up and have an example as well. I will be visiting Calvary Cemetery in Seattle. And I really should add the graves I photographed when I was in Plate Cove East, Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing our good thoughts for your brother. I am going to check on a local cemetery, for photo requests, and see if I can find just a few minutes to get over there and fulfill those requests. Life and other issues have kept me a bit busy as well. But, this is all about life, and then, the afterlife. SO, it's all good. Blessings Tessa Keough

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessa Sorry about your Brother. I will say a prayer for him. I have the same thing. I came down with Lung Cancer in 2013.I have a article today in facebook now. so I do not want to repeat myself. I know we are friends that when I started Legacy F T. I read your program ever time I find it on Face Book. And I am in land in Tampa,Fl even now I am watching the weather now they say mainly the Coast Fred

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frederick C Buss Jr. thanks so much. Please be careful (all of our LVUG Florida and Eastern seaboard members), stay safe and follow the emergency directions. Saying our prayers and sending good thoughts your way that this one passes you by. Everyone take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment