Tuesday's Tip - Teacher Appreciation Day.

Tuesday's Tip - Good morning to all our LVUG Community members. Today is Teacher Appreciation Day. Do you have educators in your family tree? Have you included an event/fact for those educators and shared a bit of their story in your Legacy family file.

Some things to include - (1) when and where did they teach? (2) what was the name of the school and what grade(s) did they teach? (3) what was their background - self-taught, any teaching credentials? (4) how many years did they educate? (5) were any of your family members responsible for teaching in particular places - military installations, native reservations, private or public schools? (6) did any of your ancestors help educate in the Great Plains and Prairie states in the 19th century (think Little House on the Prairie - but the reality was much, much more)? (7) do you have any current family members who teach? You might ask them how they think the profession has changed since they have been involved.

Today - give some thought to the teachers and educators in your family's past and present (and include their story in an event/fact). And if your children are still in school - be sure to thank their teachers. And if you have a favorite teacher - why not thank them all they did for you (many of you are reading this post, writing up your family history, and researching your families because a teacher taught you to read, write and research). For my part - thanks to the nuns and lay teachers at St. Margaret's grade school - I loved school and my favorite teacher was Mrs. Jaffe! And we have scads of teachers in my family file - including one sibling. How about you?

Comments

  1. Nice thoughts but ... Most of our ancestors were not teachers. According to census records, they were farmers, laborers, mill workers or tradesmen of varied sorts. Their wives were 'keeping house' and raising families. But there are no 'appreciation' days for them even though they were the ones who actually built the country. I'm not against teachers - I sired one who I am quite proud of. But this group is becoming moribund, reduced to platitudes and feel-goodness. I don't see the connection to using Legacy. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed - I mentioned in the first paragraph that teaching, just like so many other forms of employment, is an occupation - and I chose to discuss how teaching as an occupation fits in with Legacy in the facts/events section. I include occupation for all my family members - whether that is the engineers, steel workers, farmers, carpenters, farm laborers, nurses, housekeepers (which included a tremendous number of skills) to name just a few. Our ancestors did a variety of things - and I would include occupations, just as I include military service, volunteer activities, religious affiliation and the like, in my Legacy facts/events. Perhaps my Tuesday's Tip made someone take a look for the occupation of teacher in their family file and perhaps they have decided to look at occupations in general. Just some food for thought as we each work in our Legacy program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I really appreciated the example you used of Teacher when discussing occupations and entering them into Legacy. It got me thinking about all the teachers in my family They are everywhere! Beginning with small farm schools in the 1800's Norway, we also had rural elementary school teachers in North Dakota, high school teachers, and college professors in Montana and California. There was never a doubt in my mind that I would be a teacher - now I see the strong family influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Greethurst - thanks for posting and I have family originally from Norway - Fastnas in Nord Trondelag (hope I am spelling that correctly). They settled in Minnesota. Farmers, carpenters and teachers. Lots of people working hard at various occupations - hope all of us include occupations in our Legacy facts/events section.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment