Tuesday's Tip - Spring Cleanning.

Tuesday's Tip - I don't know about the rest of you, but when I get through with my taxes (yes I am a procrastinator) then it seems like a good time for spring cleaning. Since I am sorting, filing and such I tend to carry it over to my "genealogy" life as well. I have five suggestions - and be sure to share with our LVUG community any that you focus on in April.

(1) I go through my emails and make a point to unsubscribe to anything that no longer read or use - I do this in conjunction with my archiving of my emails and this weekend I unsubscribed to a dozen different sites that I simply don't have the time or the interest - give that a go and make your email life easier.

(2) I go through my master location list in Legacy and clean up the locations - sometimes I get things wrong - check your list AND check your short (or abbreviation) list - I make sure my counties and countries in the short form as 2 and 3 letter codes.

(3) I go through my surname list in Legacy and check for surnames not in use - how did they get there?!

(4) I use File Maintenance

(5) I check to see that my Legacy software if up-to-date and install the most current version.

So five quick things you can do that will clean up your emails, your Legacy file. And then I will reward myself by learning more about DNA in practice - check out today's Legacy webinar, especially if you are new to DNA testing and wonder what those results mean and what to do with them.

Comments

  1. Great suggestions and thanks for the reminder to clean out my email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Thomas - yes I don't need some subscriptions AND I think we need to unsubscribe rather than just delete. Since I use Gmail I am trying to get better archiving my mail as well. Locations in Legacy will always be a quarterly cleanup no matter how careful I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa Keough how do you go through your Master Surname list? I don't see a way to view a list to the side like you can in the Master Location list. Do you just purge unused ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides cleaning out emails I don't want, I also want to clean out some Google + communities. In my beginning eagerness I signed up for waaaaaaaay toooooo many. How do I bow out of some of these. I don't seem to find the process anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda Greethurst Look on the left hand side of the specific Community's page. Where the option to turn notifications on or off, there is a settings  button. Click on it and there will be an option to leave the community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monique Riley Thanks - that was what I looking for.  Now my communities are of the how-to nature, rather than the productsales promotion.  I just didn't know what all I was connecting to and why!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment